• To explore Halloween and its connections to “paranormal” and “levitation”;
  • To learn how Levitation is being used in the world of photography;
  • To make connections from levitation to real-world uses;
  • To create levitation photographs inspired by other amateur and professional photographers. .

I had many resources that helped me become more inspired, and come up with more interesting ideas. Coming into this project, I was very confused, and when I first made my experimental the photos weren’t very engaging. I spent a lot of time on pinterest, and was able to make observations about the more successful pieces and the similarities between them. For example, I found that the more realistic pieces used props, that helped “pull in” the viewers. I used this, and added an umbrella that pulled the person upwards. In my experimental photoshop pieces, I used a hairdryer to make it look like the wind based on the theme of the background. Overall, the photos I found of levitation have helped me find new ideas for my photos to contribute the the overall quality over the photo.

I think a strength I had that I really needed during this project was patience. I believe patience to be important throughout the project, but especially when we used photoshop. When cutting out the people, the edges were very fine, and you had to use a thin brush to make sure you are not cutting any of the person off. I am glad I spent so much time working on it, because in the end, the person is cut so precisely that it makes the whole photo more realistic. Another strength of mine was figuring out the opacity in the shadow. When originally making the drop shadow, the lines were very harsh, so I wanted to make it fade into the background and be more natural. After getting help from friends and playing around with the app, I learned to take the paintbrush on a half transparent setting, and paint around the line of the shadow. Both of these things I did helped my photo look more realistic and convincing.

My first challenge I faced was my unawareness of the app. Once I was able to experiment with my project, though, I became familiar with different controls and how they work. To get around my confusion of Photoshop, I watched multiple videos and asked people around me so I knew more about what I was working with. Another challenge I faced was matching the background to the person. On both of my pictures, the background was either much darker or much lighter than the person was, which made it look like the person didn’t fit. To fix this, I went into the settings and had to darken the person to make it match the mood of the photo. The final thing I had trouble with is what I ended up having the most success in. My shadows didn’t look natural, and after playing around with different tools, I was able to change the opacity of the shadow to make it fit.